Monday, September 25, 2017

P.A George - Memory Eternal


I woke up to this news on September 28, 2014 on the passing away from this life of Mr. P.A George on Marthoman TV web page.
The web post indicated only the passing away of the retired director of Indian Meteorological service. The post did not give any reference to what Mr. P.A George's connection with Malankara Orthodox Church was and probably it is quite difficult to the media to find out his connection as he may have not donated or managed charitable/spiritual organizations associated with Malankara Orthodox Church. Since it mentioned him felt it fitting to share some thoughts.
First of all let me say, I have met Mr. P.A George only twice in my life and considered it a blessing both times and am posting this to honor his memory and praying that through this post God may use us for His Glory. My first interaction with Mr. P.A George was almost 25 years back and second in July 2014 during our visit to India.
Almost 25 years back, during a study leave vacation from Bangalore where I was studying for my Engineering degree to Prashanth Nagar, Trivandrum when I met him as a retiree for the first time.  His sight was poor even then but very modestly as if he was not sure if he had captured the essence appropriately, shared a small book that he had published with notes on Holy Qurbana. 
It was an eye opener to me - God in His mercy has blessed abundantly and given us the Church and it falls on each of us who are born again into it to come to it , learn and live in Christ .
This realization of me as one who have hidden the Talent given was reinforced, when I saw him for the second time after 25 Years. After the first visit, I had tried many times sporadically to visit him, but the house was either locked or someone would come tell that he is not there. After a while and in my travels, PA George Sir was forgotten and the book that he gave was just a passing memory.
In 2014, when we visited Trivandrum , we passed by a small house and was told that the person who lived there was a very old man who had lost his eyesight and under the care of a family for whom he had built a house there. His wife had passed away and children had moved on to other places for their livelihood.  Somehow, I felt compelled to ask the driver to stop the car to see him and sure enough I see PA George sir around 90. Though he could not see, he recognized my voice and invited me to come later on in the evening for evening prayer at his home. 
When I mentioned of his book and that I still have a copy , He told how he has heard that they republished it  and told while there may be many books now how in those days  there were none and it was a passionate desire to produce that to help himself and future generation. He told of how some of the Bishops like HG Barnabas of America has encouraged him.
What amazed me most during that evening with him was that in a time when many a clergy and us forget the need and how within our resources Christian fellowship , He had been opening him home weekly for an hour for any one to walk in read the Bible, Sing few Hymns together and help each other live out faithfully their life in Christ. While  He also explained that his home was open all denominations and even those outside of the faith comes there, His conviction on Orthodox Christian faith has never faltered and as he is old to travel has the local priest come home to hear his confession and partake of Eucharist.
It is the prayers and encouragement of those like PA George Sir, that the Church will always thrive and so fitting they are in Christ and our faith to proclaim Memory Eternal!
September 25, 2017
Calgary, Canada
 









 

No comments: